Saturday, May 26, 2007

Ibiza, A recap. Days 6-10

Wireless hasn't been as readily available here like it was in London, but I am going to do a quick post before I head to Milan this afternoon!

Ibiza has been spectacular! It's gorgeous here, about 80 degrees and no humidity every day! I arrived on Tuesday late at night but I had no problems because my friend Rich who worked in Ibiza gave me the number of a guy he knew who had a hired car to do airport runs. His friend Owen, another guy from the UK, was waiting for me at the airport with his Land Rover to take me to my hostel. When we got to my hostel, on the west of the island, there was a note on the door saying due to low occupancy they'd moved everyone with reservations to a nearby hotel. I booked a private room in the 1 star hostel for $25 a night and I was upgraded to my own hotel room in a 3 star place for the same price! I now had my own bathroom, free breakfast, and a pool! Perfect! The only downside was I no longer had a kitchen, but I've been living on salads and sandwiches for pretty much my whole trip anyway so the mini fridge in the room has my savior.
So excited to have my own bathroom!

Nice and clean, before I moved in:


And I've taken over:


The staff at the hotel was very nice, a guy working at the front desk felt bad for me I think because I was all alone, so he invited me out for a drink on Wednesday night with some of his friends. In true European-man style, there were actually no friends and he spent a majority of the night trying to convince me to hook up with him, but it's something I've gotten used to traveling and I managed to escape unscathed. Even telling him I have a boyfriend didn't deter him, so I eventually excused myself saying I was tired and went to bed.


Supposedly Chrisopther Columbus is from Ibiza. Here, his ship is commemorated in....an egg!


The rest of the week, I've spent most of my time with Owen and his friends who are also working on the island. He's taking me to all the good places on the island - a delicious place with a four course meal (the last course is a shot!) for only 10 euro, the best beach that the tourists don't know about, a boat ride on his friends speedboat, and out for drinks at places where his friends work. Because he works on the island, he doesn't get the markup on everything that the tourists do, so I've been living very cheaply! I've been spending all my afternoons on the beach and life is great! I'm getting compliments on my tan, you just can't beat that Mediterranean sun!



A collection of pictures to make you jealous:




My private island:


Last night, to celebrate the end of the second part of my trip, Owen and I went out on the speedboat, caught the sunset at the best place on the island, and then had a fabulous dinner - when he heard I'd never had lamb with mint sauce (a Welsh specialty) he insisted I try it at the only place on the island that has it. It was fantastic and then we went out on the town before calling it a night in the wee hours of the morning.

"Catching" the sunset:


Owen and I:



I caught Ibiza at a very in-between time. Peak season doesn't start for another week or two, so there are still a lot of families and older people around and a lot of the biggest clubs aren't open yet. It was nice I think to miss all the partying and excess that will arrive in the next two weeks. Everything gets more expensive and the island is packed with young people looking for a good time. This week, I was able to catch the beginning of the partying but still have space to hang out and do my own thing. Maybe someday I'll come back and do the real Ibiza, but even at 22 I feel like I'm old and don't have the stamina to keep up with the shenannigans of the people who will be arriving in the next few weeks!

Owen and the trusty Range Rover:



That's all for now, I'll add all my gorgeous pictures I've taken as soon as I can find a cord to hook up to my laptop. The next time I write I'll be in Italy!!

No comments: